8 April 2012

Rainbow Gala 9

Photobucket
I reecntly overheard from twitter and forums that there is a local Hong Kong doujin event called Rainbow Gala, which first appeared in late 2007 according to its website. As the title of the post suggests, this is the 9th event and it took place today. Having never been to a doujin event before, I decide to give this a brief visit just to see how it's like.

Photobucket
The venue was a round hall in Kownloonbay International Trade & Exhibition Centre (aka Kitec), which is not particularly big, as I took this picture from one end of the hall looking at the other end with entrance visible towards the left.

Photobucket
Posters of Precious Memories card game were dotted around the hall pillars. It's quite eyecatching so I took a picture of it.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Apologies for the blurry pictures, but these Precious Memories character cards on display are apparently signed by their respective seiyuu themselves.

Photobucket
AKB48 cushions for sale.

Photobucket
A rather cute bag of Inori eating onigiri from Guilty Crown

Photobucket
Drawing tablets were being sold in one of the stalls.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Doujin arts in the form of artbooks and posters. I gotta say these ones look really good.

Photobucket
Photobucket
A few pull up banners were there.

Photobucket
Inazuma Eleven Go cards and a rather cute "diorama" on display

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Various stalls and their goods. Big thanks to them for letting me to take pictures of their tables!

Photobucket
Kyubey (aka "QB") recommends Mahou Shoujo Osaka, a crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Azumanga Daioh! /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Photobucket
My purchase was a doujin art book called Jigen Utahime (literally "Dimensional Songstress") from Spirit α. It's rather thin, but it does have some rather nice art so I thought it won't hurt to pick one up.

Photobucket
Here are a couple of shots: Rise from Persona 4 and Inori from Guilty Crown

Photobucket
Tsubasa from Senki Zesshou Symphogear and Sakuya from Shining Blade


My first observation was that there were more girls than guys in the event. Not surprisingly that means there are more stuff oriented for girls than guys, but that does not necessarily mean it's all boy love and yaoi ^^;

It's interesting to see what doujin stuff and other anime-related goodies people can come up with. Although I've seen smaller sections of them available in the much bigger annual ACGHK events, this is my first time hopping into an event that is mainly doujin-oriented.

I always wanted to go to one of these events as I never been to one before, and luckily with more contacts and gossips from various places it will help me get to see more them myself in the future!

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a con my wife would of enjoyed then. Still looks like a good time with all the stuff you shown us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ bluedrakon:
    Oh your wife likes anime-related stuff as well? This is one of the fewer events I've been where there are more girls than guys, but not in overwhelming proportions. The atmosphere feels quite friendly actually I gotta say!

    ReplyDelete

Be sure to copy long comments to clipboard in case of Internet or server problems