1 March 2012

Dorayaki

Photobucket
A friend of mine gave me a dorayaki (どら焼き) as a souvenir for his trip to Tokyo and Sapporo last month. How many people had one before?

Photobucket
A dorayaki, by Wikipedia's definition is "а red bean pancake which consists of two small pancake-like patties made from castella wrapped around a filling of sweet Azuki red bean paste".

Photobucket
Dorayaki cut in half. The red bean paste can be clearly seen in the middle.

Photobucket
If one is to associate dorayaki with anime, then Doraemon will definitely be the biggest example. The robot cat with a 4-dimension pocket that holds all sorts of gadgets inside holds no resistance when being offered with such confection, even if he was in a bad mood prior to offering.

The dorayaki is quite tasty IMHO, and it's a confection that has been around for nearly 100 years. Variations such as matcha dorayaki exist. Have you tried Dorayakis before or possibly variants of them?

5 comments:

  1. Never had one myself, but does look tasty.

    Not gonna say what I first thought this was :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've had one before, but I can imagine what it tastes like since there are a lot of other similar cakes and such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a food store selling Dorayaki near my house...but I don't know whether they taste similar to the original japanese Dorayaki since I never had the chance to taste one of those original thing

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just dont know how much i love those :9

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ bluedrakon:
    Hope you'll get to try one some day!

    Your second sentence sounds intriguing yet worrying at the same time; I hope it's nothing "naughty" that you were thinking ^^;

    @ Nopy:
    As you've said, the taste should be quite imaginable given that it's basically two layers of pancake with red bean paste in the middle. There are also similar pastries out there so you may have a pretty good idea how it tastes like.

    @ h4mster:
    Apart from the quality of red bean paste and the dough, I would think that dorayakis from overseas won't differ too much to those made in Japan; it should be a relatively simple pastry I'd imagine :o

    @ Fabrice:
    Oh please do tell me more!

    ReplyDelete

Be sure to copy long comments to clipboard in case of Internet or server problems